"Self-love is not so vile a sin as self-neglecting"


-William Shakespeare

The Best Way To Shop

Shop through igive to support the New Repertory Theatre! Here's how it works: shop your (and my!) favorite websites by clicking through igive, or install the igive shopping window on your computer. The retailer will give a percentage of your sale to The New Repertory Theatre. What's in it for you? Besides supporting a great cause, you get access to special shopping deals!

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

The Electrician and the Makeup Artist Should be Friends

One of my favorite bloggers has an interesting post about hairdryers and electricity. Even if you don't know a lot about electricity, it helps to know how much power you are really using! Of course, we may be at cross purposes, because the higher wattage a dryer is, the faster your hair dryers, so the less exposure to damaging heat.

This of course, calls to mind an experience I had a few years back. One of the first things I learned on set is that before you plug anything in, you check with the Best Boy Electric. Because I work on low-budget films, I am often (okay, always) the makeup artist and the hairstylist. And, because I work on low-budgets, I don't get one of those cushy hair and makeup trailers you think of. I get a bedroom. Or a kitchen. Or a park bench. Or the bathroom (and whenever a well-meaning but clueless AD or PM tries to put me there, I desperately try to find a different spot. Imagine trying to do hair and makeup on talent and being interrupted every time a crew member has to 'go.' And remember that crew members drink A LOT of coffee.

Anyway, on this one film we were in a Brooklyn apartment for a week. It was September, but it was hot! Like a good girl, I would talk to Billy every day to find out what and where I could plug in. He appreciated that and knew that we were both professionals in a land of fools. One day, I knew I wouldn't need to plug in at all, and good thing too...Billy was having a hard time keeping all the lights on (and because this was a low-budget, he was also Gaffer and 1st AC). So, Billy very specifically asked me NOT to use a certain outlet. No problem. Until the AD came back to the makeup/holding area/craft service room. Remember, it was a hot September. He wanted to plug in a floor fan....in the forbidden outlet. I told him no, Billy said not to. We went back and forth, I insisting that the outlet was not to be used, he insisting that it would be okay. I thought the issue was settled. I turned my back. He plugged in. The circuit blew.

No, I was not blamed.

Ther point is, when using a lot of wattage on your hair, have a basic idea of how your electricity works. Even at home, there is only one circuit I use for my hairdryer-the other circuit in my room has too much going on.

No comments: