"Self-love is not so vile a sin as self-neglecting"


-William Shakespeare

The Best Way To Shop

Shop through igive to support the New Repertory Theatre! Here's how it works: shop your (and my!) favorite websites by clicking through igive, or install the igive shopping window on your computer. The retailer will give a percentage of your sale to The New Repertory Theatre. What's in it for you? Besides supporting a great cause, you get access to special shopping deals!

Saturday, April 5, 2008

No Dates in '08

I've always thought of myself as a woman more often single than coupled. But, I've recently realized that, statistically, the opposite is actually true.

SO, after the long, drawn out breakup with the 5 year boyfriend, which happened roughly in October, I decided that there would be no dating in 2008. (For me. I don't care what the rest of y'all do.). This is the year of me.

I have made this well publicized to my friends, who are all convinced that it will not work.
So, simply as an exercise, of course, I've decided to list what I am looking for in a man, if I were, which I am not.

  • Someone taller than me. This is easy since I am 5'3".
  • Someone intelligent and well-read, yet not pretentious or a know-it-all.
  • Someone who will not tell to not wear makeup. Men who do this are still imposing their beauty standards on me, just under the guise of being "Enlightened" or "Feminist." Back off. I adhere to nobody's beauty standards but my own.
  • Someone who is honest.
  • Someone who can respect that I need my own space. I don't want to spend every waking moment with somebody. I can't miss you if you don't go away.
  • Someone who respects that my job is important to me.
  • Someone who will remember my birthday.
  • Someone who will not get on my case about smoking. I know it's bad for me. I'll quit when I'm ready.
  • Someone who, upon realizing that to me the ideal date is a trip to the drive-in, will not rest until this particular wish of mine comes true.

This was actually kind of fun. Perhaps this is the beginning of a theme.

*Finally, a confession. I have not been on a first date in over 5 years. The thought is actually kind of terrifying, which may be part of the reason I have vowed "No Dates in '08"

No comments: